Meditation? Yoga? Massage? Nope, applique.
1. ornamentation, as a cutout design, that is sewn on to or otherwise applied to a piece of material.
Here's a You Tube Video that can explain it a lot better than me.
Two reasons I decided to try applique:
1. I saw some super cute stuff on Etsy and thought...maybe I could do that.
2. I realized that I could use my Cricut machine to cut out shapes and overcome my inability to draw cute shapes.
Here is the result. A cursive capital "L" for my last name (cut from the Opposites Attract Cricut cartridge). I like how it turned out. I'm going to frame this little "L" and hang it in my guest room.
So what did I learn?
1. It was really not too hard, but don't start with something curvy like a cursive capital "L". Start with something with straight sides. You can see my mistakes on the backside where there is more contrast between the thread and the fabric.
2. Doing applique requires very deep concentration, so it is a great way to clear your mind of thoughts and focus deeply on one thing. Sounds a bit like meditation? I found it to be very meditative. I love it and intend on doing more.