Tuesday, April 12, 2011
inventory control: create your own name stamp
After my first stamp making experience, I decided to make myself a personalized name stamp. Not only can you make one for yourself, but I think these would make a nice gift for a friend who enjoys card making, stamping, or scrapbooking. I think my sister might get one from me.
Here's what you need:
Speedball Carving Tools (various sizes)
Speedy Carve Carving Block <----- this is the best stuff
Here's how you do it:
1. Write your name on a piece of paper with a pencil. I traced my name twice for good measure.
2. Place your paper pencil side down on your speedy carve block. Use a straight edge to rub the back of the paper. This will transfer your pencil marks to the block. Your image will be reversed.
3. Use a Sharpie to trace around the name.
4. Use your finest point Speedball carver to carve around your traced line. Note: It really is easier if you move the carving block rather than the carving tool when you are carving (particularly around curves). I didn't really "get" this the first time.
5. Continue carving away. Make test stamps to see where more carving is needed. Once finished you can mount your stamp on wood, just like a real store bought stamp.