This little shabby bird came to visit for spring. If you'd like him to visit your house, here's what you do.
1. Cut three birds out of fabric; a front, a back, and a middle. You won't see the middle when done.
2. Hand stitch the front bird to the middle bird with embroidery floss leaving a half inch seam allowance. I left my embroidery floss knots on the front to add to the shabbiness.
3. Sew the middle and back birds together with a quarter inch seam allowance, right sides together. Leave about a two inch opening in order to turn the bird right side out.
I wanted the fabric edges of my front bird to be visible so before I sewed my bird together I ironed the seams of my grey front bird toward the center so that they didn't catch in the seam while I sewed.
However, since the knots of the embroidery floss are showing, it might be easier to just sew the middle and back bird together and then hand stitch the front bird on top. Does that make sense? Seems confusing to me.
4. Stuff and sew opening closed. (I so rarely sew with prints that have a top and a bottom, I never noticed that my bird print was upside down...oh well.)
5. Find a home for your new stuffed friend.
in a bookshelf...
on a shelf...
on a chair...
mine is staying in the window.