Saturday, July 23, 2011

return on creativity: feed sack messenger bag


Several months ago I bought some vintage feed sacks at an antique mall.  I had no idea what I would do with them at the time.  However, I always have faith that if I buy things I love, the inspiration will come.  

Here's how I made this feed sack messenger bag out of a feed sack, a leather belt, and some denim lining.

First I cut the top off the feed sack to shorten the bag into the size I wanted for my messenger bag.  


Then I squared off the bottom corners by turning the sack inside out and folding into a point and measuring from the point.


I drew a line across and sewed along the line.


Then I cut off the excess fabric.


I sewed a lining by cutting two rectangles of light denim to match the size of my bag (taking into account the needed seam allowances.  I sewed three sides of the lining together with right sides facing and squared the corners of the lining using the same process of above.

To create the flap I cut a rectangle from the remaining feed sack material and a matching rectangle from the lining material.  Sew three sides together with right sides facing and turn right side out.  

Sew the open edge of the flap to the back of the feed sack bag with right sides facing and a quarter inch seam allowance.


Place the feed sack inside the lining with right sides facing and sew along the top.  Leave a three inch opening on each side to sew in the leather belt strap.

Pull the lining through one of the openings and turn the lining into the bag.

Cut the belt in two making sure to consider where you want the belt buckle to fall in the strap.  I wanted my belt buckle on the side.


Tuck in the seams of the opening and place the end of the leather belt into the opening and sew into place.  Make sure you use a leather needle.  My belt was pretty thick and I had to hand sew the leather in with my sewing machine by turning the wheel by hand.  Sew the opening closed as you sew in the straps.



Finally I topstitched two rows of stitching around the bag opening getting as close as possible to the leather straps as I stitched.


That's it.  I love this bag and I have been carrying it everywhere.  I wish I would have put some smaller pockets inside for keys and a phone because I have been carrying it in place of my purse from time to time.  


Go out searching for your own feed sack and leather belt to make into a bag.  You won't be sorry.  I have gotten many many compliments on mine already!

41 comments:

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

Amazing bag! Love the leather belt with the feedsack material. I can't believe you made this, you're such a talented seamstress. So glad you shared this...and that your creativity is back!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

So great! And I love how creative you were to use the leather belt as the strap. Love the bag!

Tammy said...

I have some old feed sacks that I've been trying to figure out what to do with. This was some great inspiration. And the leather belt was a great touch!! Good Job!

SLR said...

i really really love this and wish i could buy it from you!!
it is so cute and clever. i am such a novice sewer, i am too afraid to try it ;)
great job, really fantastic!

Carmen @ RoCa and Company said...

I love bags....gonna have to make one for myself. thanks for the tutorial.

Jill said...

I love messenger bags! That is such a good idea, using the belt for a strap; I love finding new uses for things. THanks for the tutorial.
--Jill
JillMadeIt.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Adorable bag! I featured it on my site today. Come check it out if you get a chance:
http://www.thegunnysack.com/2011/07/whats-in-gunny-sack-tote-bags.html

Anonymous said...

That is such a great idea! I absolutely love how you used a belt for the strap. Thanks for the tutorial too!

Carmella said...

What a great bag!! Thanks so much for sharing with Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop, I am co-hosting this week and I am so happy to see you there!!

creativecarmella.blogspot.com

the cape on the corner said...

wow, that's great! i don't usually do the whole feed sack thing, but this i like!

liZ said...

I love this project---and those feed sacks are awesome!
liZ
(simplesimonandco)

Maggie Lamarre said...

this is a really kewl bag, perfect for a teenager...

I'll be honored for you to join our linking party every Wednesday at
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/07/american-pickers-with-linking-party.html
Have a fabulous week,
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Flannery @ Three Sisterz said...

super super cute!

Christine said...

Its cute! I always like incorporating pockets into my lining of my bags..... Love your idea for the strap.

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

What a lovely idea! Very creative! Thanks for sharing:) Beautiful space you got here.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Karima said...

I love your transformation, saw you on link party, now google following you, Karima x www.karimascrafts.com

Melissa, SoChick! said...

Great job! Don't you just love saying "I made it" when people compliment you on the bag?! :-)

Decor To Adore said...

I am visiting via Today's Creative Blog.

This is a fantastic project! Thank you for sharing.

Happy Tuesday!

Shona said...

That is so cute! Such a great idea!

Jules said...

Oooooh! Gorgeous! Great idea and execution! jules

Lauryn Ashli said...

i love this! i have got to learn how to sew. thanks for sharing this awesome idea!

lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

Brynn said...

I love this! How clever! And, it's pretty to boot!

Funkytime said...

Wow! I will try it with my dish towels:-)

Jenn said...

Super cute! You could totally sell those! If you get a chance I would love for you to link up to my linky party, The Creative Spark. Have a great day!
Jenn :)
http://www.cleanandscentsible.blogspot.com

Erica said...

I admire your creativity!

1 Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

Mel Creates Often said...

Wow, I love your bag! I want to do it, but I need a stronger foot and more sewing skills. It's very cool! I'm a new follower from Your Whims Wednesday. I would love if you came by my blog and linked up at my blog hop today!

Tiff said...

Your bag is amazing! I love the fabric and the awewsome strap idea. I have been making some bags lately and you have really inspired me with yours! X

Anne said...

Awesome bag! I'm loving the belt-turned-strap! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-feedsack-messenger-bag/2011/08/01/
(link will go live tonight)

--Anne

Deb said...

What a great idea using a leather belt! I've always loved the look of leather bag straps but never had the guts to attach buckles with leather. Your tutorial certainly gives me hope. Thank you!

Anne K. said...

This is just adorable. What a great combination of materials! Thanks for sharing!

Sweet Athena said...

Great tutorial. I like your fabric choice.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful! Thank you for linking with Air Your Laundry Friday! xo Jami

Anonymous said...

Totally linked this to my blog on Friday! This is a great back to school idea for college kids, I'd think! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Would love to make this bag.. but I have a basic ?..where do I find a feed bag?

mama3 said...

awsome looking bag!!!! I'm going to try it.Thanks for the idea!!!

Jana Miller said...

I love it...so clever!
xo Jana

Anonymous said...

I use belts for some of my bags too, but never a leather belt and buckle - what a great idea, thanks for sharing this tutorial. Dianna

Linda L. said...

love it! I used this idea once on a jeans purse I made for my sister, with the belt for a handle. She loves it!! Now I gotta find a feed sack and try it this way. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

I'm a new CPA and an amateur crafted. I saw your site on Pinterest. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Heyyy.
Love your tut and i've just found 1 perfect feed sack for me. I'm going to make this right away :x
May I translate this to Vietnamese and post to my blog please??? I will also post the link to this post on mine :D
Thank you!

Megan said...

sure. I think it would be pretty cool if you translated it to Vietnamese. Send me the link when you do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...