Sunday, October 9, 2011

return on creativity: pom pom garland


Several weeks ago I "repinned" a pictorial tutorial for making yarn pom poms.  (Unfortunately this pin no longer links to a valid website that I can tell.)


I wanted my pom poms to be larger than those in the tutorial so I found this spatula in my kitchen and thought it would work perfectly.


I tied one end of my yarn to a tine to start off.


Then I started wrapping the spatula.  Through trial and error I found that I got much nicer poms if I wrapped evenly rather than randomly.


I kept wrapping until I had gone around the spatula eight times.


Then I threaded yarn through a hole in the bottom and tied a knot.


After I worked the yarn off the spatula I tied the pom into a tighter knot with two ends of yarn.  I left a long loop for hanging the pom (which you can see on the left side of the picture below).


Now the fun part...cutting the loops.


I also gave my poms a little haircut, giving them a nice round shape.  I crocheted a simple chain of a cream colored yarn on which to hang my poms.  (If you can't crochet, braided yard would look nice too.)


I hung the poms by the loops to finish up my garland.  




I think they look great in a window, on a mantle, or as a fun party decoration.  Hope you enjoy and thanks for subscribing!

3 comments:

BettyShmetty said...

That is totally cute! I love the idea of pom poms on a garland...I can think of so many ways to use it! Thanks for posting this idea and making the instructions so simple. Also, great photos!

Shiloh said...

I forgot about making pom poms. I used to really enjoy that. Um...Did you wrap around the spatula only 8 times??
Those are really cute.:)

Lauren said...

I love how you made your pom poms. For some reason, making them frustrates me. I'll have to try this way!

I'd love for you to join my link party:
http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/10/pinteresting-linky-party-week-eight.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...