Monday, February 13, 2012

return on creativity: daffodil pillow


It's super snowy here today, but I am ready for spring.  I made this daffodil pillow this weekend.  Daffodils are by far my favorite flower.  I love the yellow color.  

I did some free motion embroidery on this pillow.  I first tried this technique on my shabby rose pillow.  I'm still honing my skills with this technique so my pillow is not perfect, but I still really like it and I want to get better at this technique.  Here is a great article on free motion embroidery that I found really informative.

Here's how I made my pillow:

1.  I sketched a daffodil and combined my sketch with a script font to create my template.  I printed both the sketch and the word bloom on white paper and cut them out.  Then I pasted each to piece of 12 by 12 paper.


Here's my sketch.


Here's my template.  I used the font The Only Exception.

2.  I then used scotch tape to tape my template to the back of my pillow to prepare for tracing my design.


3.  I traced my design onto the pillow front with a Disappearing Ink Marking Pen and a light box.



4.  I put the darning foot on my sewing machine, dropped the feed dogs, and set my stitch length to 0.  Then I started tracing my design with stitches by guiding the fabric under the needle.




5.  Finally I sewed everything together into a 18 X 18 pillow cover.

Give free motion embroidery a try.  I hope you like it as well as I do!





4 comments:

Full Circle Creations said...

Love it! I can't wait for spring!

Holly

Amie {Kitty Cats and Airplanes} said...

I just found your blog a few days ago and I've pinned sooo many of your projects. Where do you buy a foot like that? I'd love to try this kind of embroidery!

laura fyfe said...

so clever! i've been making cushions, but never thought of creating images on the fabric. thanks for the inspiration!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love that! Such a simple sketch but so beautiful and I love that you machine stitched it. I need to try that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...