Sunday, February 17, 2013

doodle frames


Several months ago I purchased a Dremel wood burning tool, but besides playing around with burning some scrap pieces of wood I still hadn't found a satisfying project on which to use it.

Even more months before buying the wood burning tool I bought some wood frames from Michael's with intentions of using them to frame some embroideries that still haven't been created.

So the other day I thought...unused wood burning tool + unused wooden frames...dare I combine the two into a project?  I did dare.  And doodle frames were born!

This is really a quite easy project although you do need a bit of a steady hand.  This is definately not a project for kids.  In fact I would make sure all kids, dogs, cats, and husbands are far away.  The wood burner gets shockingly hot, combine that with a cord and you can end up with a flaming, swinging, hot dagger if you aren't super careful.


Here are the tips that came with my Dremel wood burning tool.


They twist on to the top.  Plug in and let your tool get hot and you are ready to draw.  It takes a little practice to get the right technique and figure out which tip you want to use for which type of line.  I drew my designs on the frames in pencil as a guide.  In order to get a doodley scribbly effect I traced my lines several times.  This also helped disguise and screw ups.  :)

Here is how they turned out...






Try this technique for an easy way to add some interest or a personal touch to a cheap wooden frame.  

Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

they look fantastic, what a great idea!

Mariel said...

So cute! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...