Wednesday, September 7, 2011

return on creativity: four seasons bean bags


Do you ever have a project that you work on...then put away...then work on...then put away....  I've been working on this project off an on all year.  When I started this project I didn't think that four seasons of bean bags would take me four seasons to complete!

To make these bean bags I first cut fabric for the cubes.

Front and Back - 6 inch by 4.5 inch
2 Sides - 6 inch by 4 inch
Top and Bottom - 4 inch by 4.5 inch

Then I embroidered four trees to represent the four seasons.


For spring I used a lighter color green for leaves...


Oranges and yellows for fall with falling leaves...


Summer fruit (or small red buttons)...


A barren winter trunk with beaded snow flakes (my first try at beading!)

Here's a sketch of my tree...



I sewed the fabric into cubes.  Cubes are more difficult than you might think and I got pretty frustrated until I found this tutorial which saved the day!

I filled my cubes with split peas.  Each cube took about two pounds.


I like that these bean bags give me a new way to display embroidery.  They are the perfect size for a window sill or you can just place them on the counter top.  

I think these would be cute in a nursery with some kiddie embroidery or maybe embroider a little house on each one and create a whole town?

14 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love the idea of making a bunch with houses on them. How fun for a kid to make their own little city!!

Bethany said...

These are really cute! They remind me of door stops that I see all the time on British blogs. I'd never have the patience for all that stitching!

Suzanne said...

These are adorable. I can see them as bookends in a child's room too! Thanks for sharing your pattern!

Megan said...

oh...books ends are a gret idea! Especially since they are 2pounds each!

viola said...

Love this idea! So cute and so practical, I think; of course, it might turn into a throwable bean bag or maybe that's just at my house, ha.

Shona said...

They are adorable! I love the way you represented each season...brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing!

Laura said...

Way cute! I sooooo wish I could sew. Unfortunately, I totally failed the sewing portion of Home Ec and have never had the courage to try again. Those look fabulous and are yet one more reason why I need to give it another go! :)

Kei said...

Fantastic idea! They look great!

Carolyn said...

Really really cute. I love that it took you 4 season to complete! I would be thrilled if you shared this project on my Inspiration Board {link party}. I know my readers would really enjoy it.
http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/09/inspiration-board-link-party-15.html
Thanks for the inspiration.
carolyn | homework

Twigs and Twirls said...

These are adorable. I have been playing around with embroidery lately myself. I can just imagine the possibilities with these. Great job.

creativejewishmom/sara said...

LOVE these! and love the fact that your projects really have a unique style that I don't see anywhere else! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

Moois van mie said...

waw!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

These are so cute! Thanks.

beauty said...

The blog contains informational and educational material. The post enhance my thoughts and experience. So nice!
I've got to scramble to keep up with your prodigious output!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...