Tuesday, June 21, 2011

work in progress: painting kitchen cabinets

My summer project is to make my kitchen more cute.  So far I made kitchen curtains and hung some fabric flowers.  My latest upgrade is painting the kitchen cabinets.  


Actually this project was delegated to my husband who is on summer break.  He did a wonderful job, with one exception...when I asked him to take a "before" picture for my blog this is what I got:


So I don't have a before shot of the whole kitchen, but this should give you an idea of what we were dealing with.

Tony used a Rust-oleum cabinet painting kit that we saw at Home Depot.  Tony had no complaints with the product beyond the normal it's-sure-a-pain-in-the-butt-to-paint-kitchen-cabinet gripes.  It's a multi step process that takes some time, but the results look great.  Our color is called federal grey.


While we were at it, we changed out our pulls too.  We reused our knobs.  I have always loved the look of these "bin style" pulls.  I think it looks really nice with the grey.  These were also purchased at Home Depot.  They are part of the Martha Stewart collection.


Here's a look at the other side of the kitchen.  I just love it.  Overall the kitchen is looks brighter and more fresh.  Our cabinets were really starting to show some wear and tear and we aren't planning to replace them for a few years.  I will be curious to see how this paint job holds up.

Next stop is accessories!!!

23 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a huge project! But wow, what a difference. Does your husband want to come over and do mine??

Unknown said...

looks amazing! great color!

SuzyMcQ said...

Love, love. love this color. And, what a great husband you have, this is not a fun project by any means!

I know that the "drawers" under the sink are non-working and adding the bin pulls might mean that they get in the way, but would you consider adding them? I think it's minor, but might "complete" the transformation. Just thinkin'.

laxsupermom said...

Love the color! Your kitchen looks terrific! Your husband did a great job! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I love that color and the pulls really do look fabulous with this color. I love the look and now I wish I could repaint my cabinets :)

Anne said...

So love this colour - fabulous!

Casey said...

That looks great!! I love grey, so I'm definitely loving that color for cabinets!

Unknown said...

I love the gray! Painting cabinets is hard work so thumbs up to you!!

Homeroad said...

Your cabinets look great! Gray is such a pretty color!
Susan

Unknown said...

That is a big job but he did a great job. Nice colour and I really love the updated bin pulls.

Ches said...

Your cabinets look great, love the color and your cabinet pulls. Great job!

claudine said...

I love your cabinets. My daughter and I used this product in oe of her bathrooms, but did not used the glaze. Did you used the glaze? If so how did you like it. I cannot tell in picture if it has the glaze. Feel free to answer by email claudinedenn@tx.rr.com

Van Cott Family said...

I just saw this post, and currently have the same kit, different color from Home Depot, and was wondering if you had left over paint? we have a few more cabinets, and wanted to have enough the first time if possible. Thanks!

--Julie

Whit said...

I am so so so in love with this color! Beautiful I found you through I heart naps times linky party. Come and say hi

A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Tiffany said...

I love the color! This is inspiring since our cabinets are looking pretty old and worn too...sure wish it wasn't so much work, though!

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

It all looks amazing! I really love your window treatments!! Where did you get the curtains, and what did you hang from the rod. Can't tell if it's burlap or linen? Thanks!!

aggieam01 said...

That color grey is DIVINE! it looks completely beautiful. Good job!

Lisa said...

Love the kitchen cabinets! I need to repaint mine they look worn out!

Tiff :o) said...

What a great job! I feel his pain...I just finished doing my master bath cabinets and there were only two of them...took 8 months! Anyway, great color and love the transformation!

Melanie said...

so glad that when i googled the transformations product and the federal gray colorway that your blog post came up - these are the photos i was needing!

the color swatch appears purple so i was worried about giving it a go. but your photos have me thinking otherwise.

Kelly@Sense and Simplicitee said...

You guys did a great job! The hardware compliments the paint color nicely. Fantastic work!

-Kelly@SenseAndSimplicitee.blogspot.com

Joash de Cabin said...

This is really how they're bought and you furthermore might inside reality conceive the cabinet to proceed well with your present needs with the supplement of ornamentations, hardware parts, crest mouldings as well as other like enhancements. This devotes your present new showcases a custom-made look. The customizing Kitchen Cabinets Ventura constituent can furthermore be made it simpler for by way of endowing the purchaser from which to select an array of possibilities such when pantries, storage constituting slide-out characteristics

Unknown said...

I like the look, and is that the federal gray glazed?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...