Saturday, June 25, 2011

return on creativity: lil' tree tote bag



Here's how to make this cute lil' appliqued tote bag.

1.  Cut six 11 inch by 14 inch rectangles of fabric; two from the outer bag fabric, two from the lining fabric, and two from Craft Fuse interfacing.

2.  Iron the Craft Fuse interfacing to the wrong side of the outer bag fabric rectangles.  (I first used Craft Fuse on my ruffled sunglass case and I like the weight it adds to fabric for bags.  However, this step is optional.)

3.  Trace a tree truck onto the paper side of Wonder Under fusible web.  I've provided my tree trunk drawing below.


4.  Iron the Wonder Under onto the wrong side of the fabric you would like to use for the tree trunk.


5.  Cut out the tree trunk, peel off the paper backing, and iron onto the right side of one of the outer bag rectangles of fabric.


6.  Using a straight stitch sew the trunk to the fabric staying close to the edge.  (Take your time and go slow.)


7.  Iron Wonder Under onto the wrong side of the fabric you want to use for the tree circles.  Trace circles onto the paper side and cut out.  My circles have a 1.75 inch diameter.


8.  Remove the paper backing from the circles and iron onto the tree.


9.  Using a zig zag stitch sew around the circles.  Go slow and turn the fabric as you sew.  You may need to stop from time to time and turn the fabric without sewing to make a tight turn (always with your needle in the down position holding the fabric in place).


10.  I'm not sure what this stuff is called (below), but I cut two seventeen inch lengths for straps and sewed the ends to the right sides of the outer fabric two inches in from the side of the bag.  Use a quarter inch seam allowance.  Match the raw edges of the fabric and the straps together.



11.  Put the right sides of the outer fabric together and sew three side together with a half inch seam allowance.  Leave the top open.  Repeat with the two lining fabric rectangles.

12.  Turn the outer bag right side out and place inside the lining fabric.  Sew around the top of the bag with right sides of the fabric facing each other.  Leave a three inch opening.


13.  Pull the outer bag through the opening and turn the lining inside.  Top stitch around the top of the bag sewing the opening closed.  I top stitched another row of stitches about a quarter inch below the first.

14.  Enjoy your bag!

26 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this bag! I use a similar tote bag style when I make mine but I've never done a cute tree or the technique you used.

Krista said...

So cute! I still have a solid case of Put-A-Bird-On-It, because I really want to put a cute bird or two in that tree.

Carmella said...

Love this bag! I think maybe even I could sew this...maybe...thanks for the inspiration!

Life With Lucy said...

soso cute! i just love all of your little projects!

BluBabesCreate said...

Really darling! Come on over.

Lana Hardy said...

I love this bag.. my daughter Ashley would LOVE IT.. I might just have to make her one.

Thanks for visiting my blog and the nice comment.

Sam Findlay said...

Such a cute little bag! I love tote bags and thus looks perfect!

laxsupermom said...

Cute bag! I love the graphic nature of your tree! Thanks for sharing.

MiniBinoy said...

luv the bag, and the simple lovely applique you have stitched on it!

Chef in Training said...

oh my gosh! I love this bag! it is seriously so cute! great job! Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment! I love making new blog friends! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me too! Thanks! I am just loving your blog!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

This is so amazingly cute!

Katy said...

I love that this is simple, but WAY cute.

Martha said...

What a cute little bag! Well done!

Kristina said...

That is so SO cute!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

What a cute little bag! Loved it. You are very talented...loved your beautiful space. Hope to see you on my blog:)

Anonymous said...

Great design!!

Andrea
www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

Brandy J. said...

Darling bag! Thanks for the great tutorial.

Katelyn said...

I've been wanting to do a project like this! Thanks for sharing!

Megan Gunyan said...

So cute! And it's lined?!? Awesome. These would make great library bags for my kids!

I'd love for you to join my giveaway for 2 canvas pillow forms going on now! www.alittleknickknack.com Happy 4th!

Chocolate Drool and Kisses said...

This is so cute! Thanks so much for sharing and liking up to the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.
Crystal
www.chocolatedroolandkisses.blogspot.com

PuppyFly Boutique said...

Hi there, I really enjoy your tutorials and would like to give you the One Lovely Blog award. You can grab the button and see the rules on my blog.

Anna x

fatmonica said...

It's a great bag!

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

This is an amazing bag,i like the nice color scheming :)
thanks for the tutorial dear girl!!

the misfit said...

Adorable! I am very impressed.

creativejewishmom/sara said...

love it! missing you on Craft Schooling Sunday and would be so happy if you dropped by and shared your latest, including this great bag!

Bethany said...

You just make things look so easy! I hope when I attempt something like this, that it turns out just as beautiful. Thank you for posting your crafts in such a teachable way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...